Sunday, August 14, 2005

Ajmer on my mind

Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti- a person I never met- but someone I aspired to. His dargah is at Ajmer- kya banda tha- I used to visit it every month and do my little bit.. Sufism now has become a very New Age concept but for those who actually practice and/or preach it, it's like Hinduism- a way of life, not a religion.
He's on my mind all the time not for my aspirations into spirituality, as it is an intense curiosity into how it works....where do we, as a species rise above the mundanities of life?
A friend of mine y'day told me how he wants to elevate his existence beyond the mundane- the only answer I could give him was that when he seeks a Guru, it will happen. The long answer would have taken too much time which I was unable to get into.
To me , the Gita and Sufism are one and the same..to whit, do what you need to do, the rest takes care of itself.
I met new people y'day and somehow we had the same conversation with my one stop answer to it- do what you have to do- do it well- everything else will sorta sort itself out.
Back to Khwaja- Amir Khusrau composed so many qawwalis for the saint - 600 years later, each stands the test of time. This was the era of Bhakti- an epoch totally Indian- for all you media people out there decrying the so called fundamentalism of Hinduism and Islam- get yourselves one translator/interpreter and you'll see how well the 2 religions are assimilated in the Qawwali. The Bhakti period comprised Hindu, Muslim and Jain poets/philosophers. Amir Khusrau, the man responsible for the evolution of the Sitar, was also a Bhakti guy- not that he would said so. It's apparent in his compositions where for the first time Islamic elements are married to the concept of God as the Male and everyone else, as the Female. Only in India folks, only in India.
We are not just a nation of 7 Eleven aspirees -we are slightly more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home